Newsletter Sign Up
Amish Soft PretzelsReport Violation
Other InfoCourse: Appetizers
Cuisine: North American
- 1½ cups warm water
- 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
- ¼ cup granulated sugar (try brown sugar for a chewier pretzel)
- 2 cups bread flour, sifted
- 2 cups self rising flour, sifted
- Dipping solution:
- 3 cups hot water
- ½ cup baking soda
- Sea salt in a grinder
- 1 stick salted butter
- In a mixing bowl sprinkle yeast over warm water and stir until dissolved. Let yeast sit for two minutes.
- Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Sift flours into mixture.
- Mix with the dough hook attachment just until a dough ball forms. Don’t over-knead the dough or it will be tough. Just as soon as it comes together and forms a smooth ball, stop the mixer and cover the bowl with a clean cloth.
- Let dough rise at least 30 minutes until it doubles in size.
- Once dough has risen, cut the dough into strips and roll out pieces about 12 to 18 inches long.
- Twist the and dip in the baking soda/water solution, then sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake at 500 degrees for 4-6 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Dip face of pretzels in butter and sprinkle with more salt if desired.
- Or dip in cinnamon and sugar